Wednesday, July 19, 2017

MUSIC DURING WW 11


NORMAN  V.  KELLY                                                                                                  


1942   

1943   

1944    You’re In The Army Mr. Jones.” Once The Japs hit Pearl Harbor over 25,000 men were soon gone from this area. Hundreds and hundreds of women volunteer for all kinds of services, from the WACS to the WAVES.

 

Bell Bottom Trousers.”     ( coat of navy blues.)

 

“Keep ‘Em Flyin”                “The Marine Hymn”  

 

“Ma! I Miss Your Apple pie.”      

 

“Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy From Company C.”

 

Women left behind became factory workers…the Rosie Riveters

“Pistol packin’ Mama”

 

“I don’t want to walk without you.”

 

“Don’t sit under the apple tree with anyone else but me.”

(Till I come marchin’ home.)

 

Blackouts and rationing.

 

“When the lights go on again all over the world.”

( when a kiss won’t mean goodbye but hello to love.)

 

propaganda…Tokyo Rose… (Iva)

 

Moral…Peoria had 5 USO clubs…including one for the black.

“Stage door canteen”  with a girl named Irene  …she handed out donuts…wow.

 

Marriages were UP…Morals were Down. All the good guys were GONE..   another terrible song.  “ Girls don’t refuse to kiss a soldier.”  ( Let him smell your powder…girls…please.)

 

“Praise the lord and pass the ammunition”  ( And we’ll all stay free)

 

The blacks fought…and we paid them back by keeping the army segregated…

 

Over paid  over sexed  and over here…that’s what the Br

its said of our GI’s.

 

Our gals were singing:  “They’re either too young or too old.”

But not all of them…believe you me…some lady’s were not about to wait for their GI.

 

Europe…bomber after bombing on Germany…terrible losses on both sides.

 

June 6, 1944…D Day..songs changed a bit…

 

“You’d be so nice to come home too”  ( so nice by the fire)

 

“Wonder when my baby’s coming home?” 

 

1945 Iwo Jima…over 6,000 Americans died thee…they took that American Flag there…and we cut it out of the paper and put it in our window. We had little flags in the window..blue and gold for the men killed. We had 3 blue stars in ours. Right next to our Ice signs,

 

 

April 1945…we hear Hitler is Dead…

“When that man is dead and gone”

 

he was ‘satin with a small mustache.’

 

President Truman told us that on August 6, 1948 and on the 9th. we hit Japan with 2 atomic Bombs.

 

“Atom  and Evil.”  Silly song…(if Evil gets his hands on the Atom…we will all fall down and go boom.)

 

The Japs Surrender…war is over. We all go downtown and I mean the entire town. We even get to kiss girls…real live girls and a few women…and a couple of grandmothers.

Another silly song..  “Doug…Doug…Douglas McArthur.”

 

Guys are coming home…and Peoria is excited beyond words…

 

1945…

 

“I’m Gonna Love That Guy Like He’s Never Been Loved Before”

 

“Sentimental Journey” SURELY the SONG…1945

(got my bags and got my reservations.) why did I decide to roam?

 

“Waiting for the train to come in”

 

“Kiss me once and kiss me twice”…it’s been a long, long time.

So kiss me once and kiss me twice and kiss me once again….

It’s been a long, long time. How about ‘them’ lyrics?

 

“My guys’ come back.”

 

No comments:

Post a Comment